Breathe! Anxiety Coach Barbara Spaulding, LCSW, shares a series of anti-anxiety tips to help those who are anxious, fearful, or experiencing panic attacks. This is the first tip in that series.
Anxiety Coach Tip 1: Breathe
- Holding your breath
- Breathing in a shallow manner
- Talking too fast and taking in too much air
Breathe out first, then begin diaphragm breathing.
- Learn the difference between feeling calm vs. feeling anxious.
- Listen to your body while you breathe.
- If you get a little lightheaded or tingly, it’s probably you’re not breathing deeply enough.
- Just breathe.
- Take a long, slow breath in through your nose. Fill the bottom of your lungs first, then your upper lungs.
- Hold your breath to the count of “three.”
- Exhale slowly through pursed lips, while you relax the muscles in your face, jaw, shoulders, and stomach.
- And ALWAYS, be kind to yourself.
Need Help with Anxiety or Panic? Feel Free to Reach Out.